The purpose of this blog is to highlight the beautiful city of Guadalajara; the faithful members, the valiant missionaries who serve here, as well as the people, culture, and food.

Saturday, June 6, 2015

Getting to know us

 

We are President and Sister Clayton. 

We are thrilled to meet our new missionaries and begin serving together in Guadalajara!

What a glorious time to be living on the earth! What a privilege and honor we feel it is, to be part of the Lord’s hastening of his work among His children.  We are especially grateful to be serving in this beautiful part of the Lord’s vineyard.

We are excited to introduce ourselves.

We have come from Alaska.  It is about as different of a place from Mexico as you can get!  In fact for the past many months as we prepared to come, each morning, I would check the weather in Alaska and then check the weather in Guadalajara.  It would just make me smile to think about where we were going to be serving.

President Clayton and I met on a blind date a bazillion years ago while we were going to school at BYU.  We have had a glorious life together.  The Lord has blessed us greatly and we have found that happiness really is found in the gospel of Jesus Christ and in our families.

We have 7 beautiful children and 21 adorable grandchildren.... They are the light and delights of our lives.  We also have the sweetest dog ever.  He is a chocolate lab named Kodiak, which means little brown bear!  He’s 10 years old and probably  the most gentle dog you’ll ever meet.  We’re pretty sure that sweet old dog is still sitting on our friend’s front porch wondering where we’ve gone and when we’re coming back.  

President Clayton was raised in Texas. He spent many of his summers as a young boy ranching with his uncles in the Mexican Colonies.  He is an architectet, and a beautiful artist.  He loves the outdoors, with camping, fishing and sailing being among his favorite things.  In fact he built a beautiful 20 foot sailboat in our garage, and boy has it been fun to go out sailing together! 

President Clayton loves scouting.  I have wondered over the years, how many young men's campouts, young women’s girls camps, scout jamborees, snow caving expeditions, youth treks, high adventure river trips he has gone on.  He thrilled to be the sailing merit badge councilor at scout camp each summer up in Valdez Alaska.  He loved to teach the young men how to sail.

I love being home.  I loved to tend our nest.  While our children were growing up, my favorite place to be was in the kitchen.  I love to bake, I love to cook, I loved helping the kids with their homework at the kitchen counter while I pulled cookies, sweet rolls and dinner out of the oven.  

I love to garden, cross stitch and I love to read.  The four years I taught early morning seminary were life changing for me.  I dug into the scriptures like I had never done before and it just made me a better person to serve in such a spiritually demanding  calling.  I will always be grateful for a calling that made me study the scriptures like crazy, get up way, way early, and stand in front of scary teenagers teaching the gospel.  What an experience!

We are thrilled to be devoting every thing we have and everything we are, for the next 3 years, to serve the Lord here in Guadalajara.


We love the Lord.  President Clayton and I  know that He is our Savior and Redeemer.  We are  grateful for our Father’s Plan of Happiness, and grateful for the mighty prophet of the restoration; Joseph Smith.  Likewise we  know that we are led by a prophet of God on the earth today, even Thomas S. Monson.

We are anxious to meet and get to know each and every one of the missionaries who have been called to serve with us.  

May the Lord bless us together as we serve Him!  We love you already!