The purpose of this blog is to highlight the beautiful city of Guadalajara; the faithful members, the valiant missionaries who serve here, as well as the people, culture, and food.

Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Sayula, Estipac, and Elder Piper

Monday morning the 20th we got up and headed to Sayula to visit the area and stop to visit the sisters, Sister Smith and Sister Ortega

Here is the city center.  Many many cities have a center place where there are open markets and lots and lots of small carts and grills set up with people selling and cooking things.  There are corner shops and benches with people sitting and visiting.  One picture I wish I had taken was of the old men sitting on benches like the ones here, with their worn and comfortable cowboy hats on,  just passing the day visiting and I´m sure remembering times past.
It makes me smile how at ease so many people seem. Many, most have a hard, hard life, but we see happy and loving people at every single place we visit, quick to greet us and nod hello.

 fresh coconut juice 

so typical, a grandma pushing her cart full of her supplies

 Here come the Elders in Sayula, Elder Guardado and Elder Flores

with President in front of the church 

We drove to Estipac.  We knew the Elders had gone to their training in another city, but wanting to get a feel for the city, we stopped there and visited a faithful family, the Sanchez family.  Sister Sanchez´s father was the 1st member in Estipac 40 years ago.  They were so sweet and honored that we would come and visit them in their home.  Her cheeks and hands were so soft and she absolutely would not sit down until I did.  It was a memory

this was their old dog sleeping on the couch on their front porch

We stop often and talk with people and tell them we are missionaries just visiting their city and wish them a happy day.  Everyone is so kind and nice

Wednesday the 22nd we met with Elder Piper.  We had lunch with President and Sister Eggington from the Guadalajara East Mission and Elder Piper.  He had visited them all morning, and then after lunch he came to be with us.  We sat with him in our living room for 4 1/2 hours. We visited with him and asked question and listened carefully as he taught us.   It was an unforgettable afternoon.  President Clayton and I took careful notes and enjoyed so much our time together.  We loved his stories.. we laughed and cried.  It was marvelous to be with him. We drove him to the airport with the assistants.  On our way home we stopped at the hospital to visit our sweet Elder Jimenez who had knee surgery earlier that afternoon